Members of First Presbyterian Church of Independence, Missouri, saw a need for another church in 1952. To meet this need they formed a group to establish Trinity Presbyterian Church in what was then a developing area away from the center of town.
While combining their own blood, sweat, tears and love with the efforts of professional contractors, the membership saw the church building rise from the ground to become the building with the large front columns you now see.
Services began before the main building was fully completed. The church met in what is now the basement, and charter members remember snow sometimes drifting in before the roof was completed.
Soon after the sanctuary was finished, membership growth made it necessary to add a wing to the building to meet the demands for more classrooms and facilities for the growing congregation.
In 1974 Trinity again faced the challenge of a growing membership with too little room. Banding together once again, a new sanctuary was constructed and additional modern amenities were added to assure the facilities met the needs of a growing body of Christ. Building improvements were also made in 2000 and 2018 to keep up with the needs of our diverse congregation.
Like the building, Trinity's parishioners and its mission have gone through many changes. In 2001, the members of Westminster Presbyterian Church, Independence, joined the Trinity congregation. In 2016, the members of Calvary Presbyterian Church, Independence, also joined the congregation. Both mergers have brought many wonderful new faces and gifts, as well as new traditions.
The current membership is representative of all ages, incomes, educations, and backgrounds. They come from the immediate Independence area, Kansas City, Raytown, and even as far away as Lee's Summit, Blue Springs and Oak Grove. Sunday, for many of us, is the highlight of our week because of the caring and acceptance we feel within the church community, and we are eager to share the good news of God with others.